We all wish we had more time to read. Even if you love to read, you may struggle to find time to sit down with a good book. You may have discovered ebooks and audiobooks, but there are times when it’s better to listen while other times it’s better to read.
Whispersync for Voice gives you the best of both worlds: the convenience of both an ebook and an audiobook. Amazon recently introduced Whispersync for Voice, a syncing service that lets you sync back and forth between Audible audiobooks and Kindle books on many devices, so you can pick up where you left off between the two formats.
Whispersync was formerly just for Kindle books, you could start reading a Kindle book on your Kindle, pick up your iPhone and continue reading on your Kindle app where you left off reading on your Kindle. Now the feature has been expanded to include Audible audiobooks. Amazon has over 15,000 Kindle books available with Whispersync for Voice.
When You Might Use Whispersync for Voice
You’re listening to a gripping audiobook on the way to a doctor’s appointment. You arrive in the parking lot just as you get to an intensely good part. You would love to continue listening but you don’t want to be late for your appointment. You know that you’ll be stuck in the waiting room for a while but you won’t be able to listen to your audiobook for fear that you won’t hear your name being called.
You’re reading an amazing novel on your Kindle but you have to leave for your morning commute to the office. You don’t want to be late but you know you’ll be distracted until you find out what happens next in the book.
You wake in the middle of the night, eager to learn what happens next in your audiobook. You can’t listen for fear of waking your partner.
You’re engrossed in your favorite book but it’s time to exercise. You wish you could read “on the go.”
Here are some other ideas of when Whispersync for Voice might come in handy:
Audible and Kindle
With Whispersync for Voice, now Audible and Kindle books can sync with each other. If you start reading a book on a Kindle, you can pick up listening where you left off in an Audible book. Similarly, if you’re listening to an Audible book, you can pick up where you left off on a Kindle book.
Suddenly, your time available for reading just expanded exponentially.
Whispersync for Audible
Whispersync for Voice can also be used with Audible audiobooks between different devices. You can pause an audiobook on your iPhone and start listening to it on your iPad where you left off on your iPhone. This is great news for fans of Audible who previously had to find their place manually on audiobooks if they were going to listen to a book on more than one device.
Wait a minute! Won’t I have to buy the book twice?
In some cases, it may be less expensive to get a Kindle book along with an Audible book. Amazon is offering many free books enabled with Whispersync for Voice on Kindle and Audible. Amazon is also offering reduce prices for many Audible titles if you buy the Kindle book first.
If you’re considering getting an audiobook, check to see if it’s is available as a free or discounted Kindle book before you buy the Audible book. Even if you never look at the Kindle version, you may save quite a bit on the Audible version by buying the Kindle book first.
For example, The Hunger Games as a Kindle book is available to borrow for free through Kindle Owners’ Lending Library or on sale for $5.00 to purchase. The Audible list price for The Hunger Games is $27.97, but if you buy the Kindle version first for $5.00, the Audible version is $3.95, saving you $19.02 over the Audible list price.
You can get many Kindle books for free or at a significant discount. If you’re an Amazon Prime customer, you can use Kindle Owners’ Lending Library to borrow a book for free (not all titles are included for Kindle Owners’ Lending Library). Whether or not you’re an Amazon Prime customer, you can take advantage of Kindle Daily Deals, Kindle Library Lending, and Kindle Lending (borrowing a Kindle book from a friend). Amazon also offers monthly deals on 100 Kindle books for $3.99 or less.
What You Need to Know
1. Only certain books have the Whispersync for Voice feature enabled. When you go to buy a Kindle book or an Audible audiobook, you will see whether the feature is available in the listing.
2. As discussed above, some Audible books with Whispersync are discounted if you already own the Kindle book. If you want to use Whispersync for Voice, make sure to look at the Kindle book first to see if there is a discount on the Audible book. You may save quite a bit off of the Audible list price by buying the Kindle book first. But if you are an Audible member, you may find that using a credit can save you more than using the Whispersync discount. Compare prices.
Amazon has a list of Whispersync-ready Audible books at reduced prices.
Unfortunately, the discount doesn’t work in reverse: Kindle books are not discounted with Whispersync if you already own the Audible version. I’m hoping that Amazon adds discounts for Kindle books for those who already own the Audible book.
3. Whispersync works retroactively. If you already have purchased the Kindle and/or Audible book, you don’t need to purchase the books again or update them. The feature will be active.
4. You can even sync between Audible and Kindle on a single device. For example, if you’re listening to an Audible book on your iPhone, you can switch to the Kindle version and open the book in your Kindle app exactly where you left off in the audiobook.
5. You must own both the Kindle and Audible book for the syncing to work between the two formats. If you only own the Audible version, you can sync between multiple devices for the audiobook.
6. You must be connected to the Internet on both devices for Whispersync to work.
How It Works
It just works. There is nothing you need to do. Just stop reading/listening on one device and pick up the book on the other. You will be asked if you wish to continue reading where you left off. Say yes and continue on your merry way.
Syncing from Audible to Kindle is amazingly precise. The Kindle will sync to the very last word that was read on your Audible book.
Syncing from Kindle to Audible isn’t quite as exact, because the Kindle doesn’t know the last word you read. Instead, it syncs to the top of the page you were on, which can serve to refresh your memory about where you left off. If you find this annoying, you can always fast forward a few seconds.
I tested Whispersync for Voice with an audiobook on my iPhone syncing to a Kindle book on a(n):
- Kindle Keyboard
- Kindle Fire (1st Generation)
- Kindle Fire HD
- Android phone
- Android tablet
The feature worked on all of these devices without any issues.
Find more time for reading by switching between Kindle and Audible books without losing your place!
Have you been using Whispersync for Voice? Have you found the feature handy? Let us know in the Comments section below!