If you are an HBO subscriber and have an iPhone, iPad or Android device, you should grab the HBO GO app from the iTunes App Store or the Android Market. This app, which was launched on Friday, lets you watch HBO movies and original series on your mobile device.
HBO has not allowed its movies or series to appear on Netflix or Hulu+ but instead has reserved the viewing of its content to its paid subscribers. Now with the launch of the HBO GO app, HBO is providing its programs for streaming on these devices.
The content includes:
- Sports (mostly boxing matches)
- Stand up comedy performances (Chris Rock, Ray Romano, Rita Rudner, Lewis Black, etc.)
- Series (Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers, Game of Thrones, Mildred Pierce, etc.)
- Documentaries (By the People, Gaga Revealed, Earth Made of Glass, etc.)
- Movies (Avatar, Date Night, Monsters vs. Aliens, etc.)
Don’t expect to be enjoying these shows during a flight, though. The video streams over the Internet, you don’t download it, so you need an Internet connection to watch the shows. The good news is that the shows stream over Wi-Fi or 3G. The bad news is that you need to make sure that you don’t exceed your data cap watching these great shows (See, Mind the Cap).
The app and the content are free to HBO subscribers, so you don’t need to pay any additional fees to watch these shows if you are an HBO subscriber.
If you enjoy entertainment on the go, subscribe to HBO and have an iPhone, iPad, or Android device this app is a must!
Have you tried this app? Let us know what you think in the Comments section below.