Happy Safer Internet Day! Are you celebrating? Well, if you are, you’re at least a day late because Safer Internet Day was actually yesterday. No worries, though. There’s never a bad day to try to have a safer Internet!
Google wants to help you celebrate Safer Internet Day and has a gift for you if you join them in the celebration. Just take about two minutes to check your security settings for your Google account before February 17, 2015 and Google will award you an extra 2 GB of space in Google Drive, their cloud service (like Dropbox). That’s about 1 GB per minute of your time! This free space will be added to your account permanently around February 28.
Even if you don’t use Google Drive or you’re past the deadline for getting 2 GB of free space, it’s still a great idea to check your Google settings. Do the Security Checkup anyway to make sure your settings are up-to-date.
(Note that Google Apps for Work and Google Apps for Education users are not eligible for the bonus storage but you should still consider taking the Security Checkup.)
How to Do Google’s Security Checkup
Go to Google’s Security Checkup Page. Log into your Google account. Go through the steps:
1. Check your recovery information to restore your account:
- cell phone number
- email address
- security question
2. Check your recent activity. Google will show you the last two devices on which you signed into your Google account and when that happened. Click “Looks good” or “Something’s wrong.”
3. Check your account permissions. Google will show you the devices and apps where you’ve given permission to access your account. You can remove any you aren’t currently using.
➾ See Clean Up Your Permissions! for an easy way to check your permissions on lots of accounts!
4. Check your app passwords for apps you’ve signed into not using two-step verification. You can revoke sign in permission for any apps you’re not using any more.
5. Check your two-step verification settings (if you have them set up).
After you’ve finished your five-step Internet Security Checkup you’ll get green check marks and accolades from Google. Yea!
You’ll also receive an extra 2 GB of free space in Google Drive around February 28. Google will send you an email when the space has been awarded.
Even if you never use it, 2 GB of free Google Drive space is still handy to have accessible to you. Someday, when you least expect it, you may find you need it. If not, well at least your Google security settings are up to date.
For more information, check Google Drive Blog
Safer Internet Day 2015
If you feel moved to celebrate Safer Internet Day beyond doing the Google Security Checkup, check out this video:
Also check Twitter for the hashtag #SID2015 to see how others around the world are celebrating Safer Internet Day.
Have you been celebrating Safer Internet Day? Did you know there was such a holiday? Did you do the Google Security Checkup? Are you excited to receive 2 GB of free space in Google Drive? Let us know your thoughts in the Comments section below!