If you have a Facebook account, you now have a Facebook email address. If you don’t have one yet, you will have one very soon. This feature used to be optional but, as with Timeline, it is becoming mandatory. Facebook will soon be providing Facebook email addresses to all of its members, regardless of whether you:
a) want one or
b) sign up for one.
When Facebook first introduced email addresses in 2010, you had to sign up to get a Facebook email account, but the service wasn’t overwhelmingly adopted. People generally didn’t abandon their existing email accounts to use their Facebook email accounts.
Now everyone who is on Facebook will have a Facebook email account, which means that you should take a few minutes to adjust your email and privacy settings.
What You Need to Do Now
1. Check Your Email Settings in Facebook
- Go to your Timeline (found by clicking on your name in the upper right corner of Facebook)
- Go to About (on the left side below your Timeline Cover Photo)
- Scroll down to Contact Info and click Edit
Your email address associated with your account will appear, along with your Facebook email address.
- The right drop-down menu (blue arrow in image) controls whether your email address is Shown or Hidden on your Timeline.
- The left drop-down menu (red arrow in image) controls who can see your email address. Your choices are Public, Friends, Friends except Acquaintances, Only Me, or Custom. If you don’t want your Facebook email address to be visible, change this to Only Me. You can also hide your other email addresses by choosing Only Me.
You can also add or remove email addresses from this page but you cannot remove your Facebook email address. You’re stuck with it so long as you have a Facebook account, unless Facebook changes its rules (again).
Be sure to click Save at the bottom of the page so your settings will be saved.
2. Check Your Email Privacy Settings in Facebook
You should also check your email privacy settings now that you have a new Facebook address.
- Click on the triangle in the top right corner of Facebook, next to Home.
- Click Privacy Settings.
- Scroll down to How You Connect and click Edit Settings
From there you can control who can look you up using your email addresses (including your Facebook email address), who can send you Friend Requests, and who can send you Facebook Messages. Use the drop-down menus to make your choices.
What Else You Need to Know
If someone sends you a message using your Facebook email address, you will find it in your Facebook messages area. If you restrict who can send a message to your Facebook email address, no messages will be delivered from people outside your approved groups.
Some Facebook users are reporting that their Facebook address is set to Public on their Timeline by default so be sure to check your settings right away.
If you’re on Facebook you have a Facebook email address or will have one soon. Take control of your Facebook email settings to make sure that you aren’t inadvertently broadcasting your new Facebook email address to the public.
Did you previously have a Facebook email account? Have you ever used Facebook email? Have you adjusted your Facebook email settings? Let us know in the Comments section below!