If you’re headed on a trip this holiday season, listening to audiobooks may help you not only pass the time more quickly, but also help you develop your listening skills. Listening skills are more important than you might think, they can help you learn, keep you safe, make you a better employee and help you improve your personal relationships.
Listening can also lead to improved reading abilities in children. Audiobooks can help children in learning to listen and concentrate on verbal messages.
According to the educational website Reading Rockets, audiobooks can be used to:
- Introduce students to books above their reading level
- Model good interpretive reading
- Teach critical listening
- Highlight the humor in books
- Introduce new genres that students might not otherwise consider
- Introduce new vocabulary or difficult proper names or locales
- Sidestep unfamiliar dialects or accents, Old English, and old-fashioned literary styles
- Provide a read-aloud model
- Provide a bridge to important topics of discussion for parents and children who can listen together while commuting to sporting events, music lessons, or on vacations
- Recapture “the essence and the delights of hearing stories beautifully told by extraordinarily talented storytellers” (Baskin & Harris, 1995, p. 376)
from Benefits of Audiobooks for All Readers, by Denise Johnson at Reading Rockets.
This infographic from Tales2Go illustrates how audiobooks can help develop listening and reading skills:
So the next time you head out on a trip, consider listening to an audiobook to entertain and educate you and your family. You could arrive at your destination a better listener than when you left on your journey!
One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.
— Bryant H. McGill
Sources for Audiobooks:
Tales2Go provides unlimited streaming of children’s audiobooks to your mobile device and computer. Tales2Go is available for:
You can get unlimited streaming free for 30 days. After the free trial period is over you can sign up for monthly or annual subscriptions.
My full review of Tales2Go: Tales2Go – Are We There Already?
Audible is Amazon’s audiobook site where you can buy thousands of audiobooks. You can download your first audiobook free and then purchase them individually or become a member of Audible to get discounts on audiobooks. With Whispersync for Voice, you may get a discount on an Audible book if you purchase a Kindle book first.
Find out more about Audible: What’s New at Audible
Apple has a wide selection of audiobooks available through iTunes. Choose from topics such as technology, classics, arts & entertainment and audiobooks Latino.
Check out your public library for audiobooks. You can borrow audiobooks for free, which may be a good way to learn which types of audiobooks are most enjoyable for you.
Do you believe it’s important for children to develop listening skills? Do you like the idea of using audiobooks to develop listening skills? Do you wish more people had better listening skills? Let us know in the Comments section below!
* Listen tile image by Steven Shorrock (edited to include Larry King quote)